Exceptional rules for teaching activities of the 1st semester: classes and evaluations
Exceptional rules for teaching activities of the 1st semester 2020/21: classes and evaluations
- The evolution of the epidemiological situation in the country caused by the COVID-19 disease, in recent days and in view of the announcement by the Council of Ministers of the closure of all educational establishments;
- The exceptional and temporary measures as a response to the epidemiological situation defined by, in particular in article 9 of Decree-Law no. 10-A / 2020, of 13 March, and subsequent amendments, which determines the suspension of teaching and non-teaching activities and in-person training, in Law No. 1-A / 2020, of March 19, with the rectification introduced by Statement of Rectification No. 20/2020, of May 15, as well as the provisions of Decree No. 3-A / 2021, of 14 January, as amended by Decree no. 3-B / 2021, of 19 January, which renews the declaration of a state of emergency based on the verification of a situation of calamity public;
- The effort shown by the teachers to acquire a growing mastery of the technologies available for distance learning and evaluation, while still assuring training activities;
- The guidelines issued by the Office of the Minister for Science, Technology and Higher Education, on January 21;
- The need to ensure the conclusion of the 1st semester in compliance, as far as possible, with the established school calendar, avoiding negative impacts for the next semester.
I determine, without prejudice to the revision and changes that may, at any time be introduced to the present order, and in view of the evolution of the public health emergency and in view of the legislative initiatives that may be adopted, that the school calendar approved for the academic year 2020/21 (Order RT. 51/2020) is to be adjusted, as a result of the one-week extension for the duration of the 1st academic semester:
- The end of the 1st academic semester will occur until January 30 and all classroom activities are suspended from January 22, 2021, until otherwise indicated;
- The dates for the exams are postponed for of one week, for the normal and appeal periods, which are now scheduled between February 1 and February 27, 2021;
- The exams will be performed remotely and adjusted to the specificities of remote teaching and learning;
- The beginning of the 2nd semester will be postponed to March 1, 2021, in a remote teaching regime, unless the changing of circumstances allows for the presential regime to resume, which will be preferential.
For students with difficulties in accessing the internet, the exams may be performed at the University's facilities in places to be indicated, in due time, by the Pedagogical Councils of the respective Organic Units, guaranteeing their fulfillment in strict compliance with the current legislation, rules and guidelines of the General Directorate of Health, in terms of simultaneous occupation of spaces, permanence, physical distance, use of personal protective equipment, ventilation and reinforcement of personal hygiene measures.
In due time, the school calendar published in Dispatch RT.51 / 2020 will be republished with any changes that may occur.
This Order is effective immediately and is to be widely disseminated, namely by e-mail and publication on the Academic Portal and the University of Algarve’s official website.
Faro, January 21, 2021
Paulo Manuel Roque Águas